5.3.14

She's Crafty

I'm hoping that on reading that post title you have the Beastie Boys 'She's Crafty' running through your head, because I certainly do. Obviously not the same context as the boys meant, I am not their sort of crafty no sir, but today I did get a little creative. On Pinterest there are so many great ideas for basically everything homemade; recipes, decorating, dream weddings, and crafts. So many crafts. My sister suggested I try out making a statement washer necklace. So I did, and here's what happened.

"Hide your gold, The girl is crafty like ice is cold"

Steph About Town


washer necklace tutorial

Things you will need:

Ribbon - I got a few colours to try out, just make sure you don't buy it too wide for the washers. I would say around 2cm or half an inch is perfect. You could also use organza or tulle for something lighter instead of ribbon.

Washers - For the necklace I made I used 20 washers but however many you want is fine. Or if you were doing a bracelet then half that number. I actually wanted gold ones but my local hardware store only had silver, I wasn't going looking elsewhere, so I've had to make do. You can also get them on amazon if you're even lazier than I am.

Tape

washer necklace tutorial

washer necklace tutorial

washer necklace tutorial

washer necklace tutorial

Make a point.

The tape is just to wind around the end of the ribbon to make it easier to thread through the washers. The length of the ribbon really depends on how long you want the necklace. For the shorter one I held the ribbon and measured the length to my elbow and back again, plus a little for luck.

washer necklace tutorial

Thread on two washers.

Grab a washer and pop it on to the point where you want your necklace to start and then follow it up with another, leaving a little space between. You'll want to leave about 6 inches of ribbon at either end to tie it with.

washer necklace tutorial

washer necklace tutorial

Pull the ribbon up between the two washers and then thread the end of the ribbon back through washer #1. Pull tight, but not too tight! The washers should lay flat against each other.

washer necklace tutorial

See it? Again it goes through washer #1 and #2 and then back through #1. 

washer necklace tutorial

That move leaves you with this. So now you need the ribbon back on the correct side of the washers so thread it back up through washer #2 and you've completed the link! Then just keep repeating the same thing adding washers and weaving the ribbon between. Try not to twist the ribbon as you go, keeping it flat so you get even sized, nice fat bits of colour between the washers.

washer necklace tutorial

When you're happy with it trim the ends of the ribbon. Fold it in half and cut diagonally so you create a V-shape. This should stop the ribbon unravelling, and it looks better than a blunt cut.

washer necklace tutorial

washer necklace tutorial

And boom. You're done! Something I learned from years of tying ribbons in my hair as a child (influenced by Matilda and her perfect ribbons, how did she get them so perfect?!) is to always double knot your ribbon girls. Those suckers are slippery. You can wear it long or shorten the ribbon ends for a statement necklace like I did above. I prefer shorter since with sweater or under a shirt collar it'll be cute. Since you can have any colour combinations you want, you can have a necklace to go with anything! 

washer necklace tutorial

About Town This Week...

No comments:

Post a Comment