7.11.13

Fall and Bounce

Look at how happy and chilled I look… Oh how a face can lie. 

nevis bungy jump queenstown new zealand

So this happened. It was simultaneously the best and worst thing I have ever done. Welcome to the 3rd highest bungy in the world. Up until this point, where I had to waddle myself out onto a platform as wide as I was, everything was fine. The guy who jumped before me gave me a pretty inventive tip - don't look down… But of course I'm not one to take advice, in the end I'll do what I want and once I looked down, that was it. The fear was upon me. But there was only one other girl in my group and she backed out of doing it, twice! I could not let the side down.

nevis bungy jump queenstown new zealand

And then it actually came to jumping, I told the nice guy hanging on to me that he may have to give me a push. He may as well have pushed me with his pinky for all the good it did. I basically just lost my centre of gravity so still had to actually… jump. Every muscle in your body is telling you not to do it because you will die and your brain is saying 'don't chicken out, just jump!' 

nevis bungy jump queenstown new zealand

The moment when your feet leave the platform is probably the worst, because you know there's no going back. It's done. You've jumped to your death and that's the end of that. The fall lasts for 9 seconds. You may not think that is very long but when you're falling it seems like minutes. About half way down I thought surely that must be it, I've got to bounce now... why haven't I bounced… that river is very close… oh my god the cords broken, that's it, I'm dead. My mother was right. BOUNCE. The second you bounce it stops being terrifying and becomes fun. And then it's all over.

nevis bungy jump queenstown new zealand

nevis bungy jump queenstown new zealand

nevis bungy jump queenstown new zealand

nevis bungy jump queenstown new zealand

nevis bungy jump queenstown new zealand

But I'm not one to do things by halves either. I also did the worlds highest swing. 
Go hard or go home.
nevis arc swing queenstown new zealand

nevis arc swing queenstown new zealand

The swing is suspended 160 metres above the canyon floor and you fall about 70m before the cord tightens and you actually start to swing, and that's at about 120kph. But this is actually fun because it's such a familiar feeling. What was not familiar was the 20kg weight they had to strap to my butt because I was too small to swing. My butt has never been so big.

nevis arc swing queenstown new zealand

They guy pushing the drop button was great, he makes you turn around and talk to him and then just drops you mid-sentence. He must love his job. 

nevis arc swing queenstown new zealand

That little dot? Yeah that's me. If you have time and want a laugh the videos are at the end.

nevis arc swing queenstown new zealand

nevis arc swing queenstown new zealand

Quote of the day:

'What the hell was I thinking, I paid so much to fall off things - I could have bought a bag?!'



video


video


About Town This Week...

No comments:

Post a Comment